Browse Items (11 total)

This is a picture of the last Faculty Row house to be torn down in 1970. Faculty Row 6 served as the English faculty house and later as the International Center.

The first houses of Faculty Row to be torn down were 9 and 10 in 1922 to make room for a new Home Economics building. Later in 1931, number 14 was razed for the construction of Mary Mayo Hall. In the 1940’s houses 1 through 5 and 8 were torn down…

A view of the house Number 4 on Faculty Row at MSU. It was originally built for the mechanical engineering professors, and was later used as the Home Management house.

The first Faculty Row houses were erected in 1857 for the presidents and professors. Each house is given a number. The first four erected in 1857 are known as 4, 5, 6, and 7, the last of which is the Cowles House.

This unit excavated a trash pit that was potentially associated with College Hall. The unit was placed here based on positive shovel testing, and the group found a high number of historic artifacts. There were two units placed on this path, one found…

This unit clearly shows the differences in layers of soil over time. The oldest layer at the bottom is clean soil, and in between this layer and the youngest layer is a lighter one with dark inclusions. This mixed layer of yellow and grey soil is…

Shovel test pits during the Faculty Row survey revealed the brick foundations of a barn. The barn was found on a map, but was no longer visible. By doing a systematic survey they were able to find portions of the structure.

Students at the Faculty Row excavation map out the stratigraphy in order to preserve it. Since excavation destroys the layers within the soil, careful notes are required in order to create interpretations.

Chris Valvanno and Chris Stawski map out the stratigraphy at the Faculty Row excavation. By creating maps they preserve the strata and layers that were destroyed during excavation.

In the late 19th century, wooden water pipes were introduced at Faculty Row. These pipes were called Wycoff Water pipes and were bored using a special machine, and then wrapped in iron straps to stabilize the wood. The pipe was then sealed by being…