Field School 2010

Description

The 2010 summer field school investigated a number of locations on campus including surveys done at Shaw Lane Power Plant, the Sacred Space, and Old Botany. Excavations were conducted west and south of Beaumont Tower, and on the path to Sleepy Hollow. The Beaumont excavations revealed intact historic bottles, a knob labeled 1889, bricks, a projectile point, animal bone, nails and charcoal. The path to Sleepy Hollow had the highest number of artifacts, including an old pocket knife, animal bones, clay pipes, ironstone, porcelain, glass, and terracotta. Stratigraphy at the site revealed portions of a trash pit. At Old Botany, glass, terra cotta pot sherds and a clay marble were found.

Collector(s)

  • Campus Archaeology Program

Items in the Field School 2010 Collection

Brass knob with date June 11, 1889 on it. Unknown use or origin. Has black front with white decorative cross on it. Excavated during the Summer 2010 field school.

Wooden Pipe carved with leaves on bowl and mouth piece, and lines on the stem. Dating from 1860-1890. Says "In Gotha" on middle of stem. Unknown origin. Found during the Summer 2010 field school.

This point is evidence of prehistoric occupation in the area. A number of these have been found, and early colonial accounts of the area mention an Indian encampment where the stadium is now located. The area is perfect for prehistoric occupation,…

These artifacts consist of a portion of a pipe and an inkwell. Both items date to the late 19th century and most likely belonged to students from at College Hall. Artifacts like these help us learn more about the habits of students. Smoking was…

The 2010 summer field school at MSU consisted of work primarily around Beaumont Tower and Sleepy Hollow. The goal was to find the trash pits from Saints Rest and potentially prehistoric finds, both of which were recovered.