Faculty Row

Description

Construction was done in 2008 to put in new utilities in the West Circle dormitory parking lot. Campus Archaeology was commissioned to mitigate the archaeological resources in this area that dated from 1855-1947. They conducted surveys and excavations throughout West Circle based on historic maps and GIS. Little evidence was found of the Faculty Row buildings, but material culture was recovered. Excavation revealed glass bottles, bricks, construction materials, trolley rail spike, and a wooden water pipe. Stratigraphy revealed a number of landscape and structural modifications from the destruction of Faculty Row.

Collector(s)

  • Campus Archaeology Program

Items in the Faculty Row Collection

During the 1890’s, a trolley line was placed on the edge of campus and passed by Faculty Row. This spike from the trolley railway is evidence of this long gone form of transportation. This was recovered during fieldwork in 2008.

In the late 19th century, wooden water pipes were introduced at Faculty Row. These pipes were called Wycoff Water pipes and were bored using a special machine, and then wrapped in iron straps to stabilize the wood. The pipe was then sealed by being…

Chris Valvanno and Chris Stawski map out the stratigraphy at the Faculty Row excavation. By creating maps they preserve the strata and layers that were destroyed during excavation.

Students at the Faculty Row excavation map out the stratigraphy in order to preserve it. Since excavation destroys the layers within the soil, careful notes are required in order to create interpretations.

Shovel test pits during the Faculty Row survey revealed the brick foundations of a barn. The barn was found on a map, but was no longer visible. By doing a systematic survey they were able to find portions of the structure.