Alice Cowles

Description

The Alice B. Cowles House was the house of the first few presidents of the campus. Since its construction it has been the house of the most important person on campus, beginning with being the home of Joseph Williams the first college president. It was also the home of W.J. Beal for 38 years while he was a professor. The building was named after the daughter of Albert Cowles who was a student in the first class at the college and helped to construct the building. It remains the official house of the president to this day although it is primarily used for meetings and receptions that are hosted by the President. In 2009, an archaeological survey was done behind Cowles House. The goal of the survey was to find intact trash deposits from the earliest phases of occuption, circa 1850’s. There were no major finds at the site.

Collector(s)

  • Campus Archaeology Program

Items in the Alice Cowles Collection

In 2009, an archaeological survey was done behind Cowles House. The goal of the survey was to find intact trash deposits from the earliest phases of occuption, circa 1850’s. There were no major finds at the site.

This is a photo of the Alice Cowles House from 1935 when secretary Halliday was in residence.

This is a photo of Alice Cowles House circa 1935 when secretary Halliday was in residence.